Our purpose is to SPUR each other to love and good deeds, treasure Jesus Christ above everything else, grow together in love and devotion to God, and by the Spirit impact our families, neighborhoods, workplaces, and the world for good.
Our means of growing in maturity in Christlikeness includes four key elements:
- Scripture: Studying God’s word together, aiming for worship and the implications for all of life, and growing in our knowledge of God and doctrines.
- Prayer: Praying in dependence on the Holy Spirit; pleading with our Father together as Christian men, “the ones who worship by the Spirit of God, boast in Christ Jesus, and do not put confidence in the flesh” (Philippians 3:3).
- Unite: Gathering to encourage each other on a common mission to grow and serve, to love our families, and to invite others to consider Jesus.
- Resist: Persevering in the faith, not giving into the patterns this age, and refusing to give up is how we resist the devil.
SPUR is a mix of life-to-life relationships in small discipleship teams of 3-10 men (ongoing) and large group meetings (TBA). We typically begin new studies three times a year (Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall).
SPUR studies include Bible studies, theological courses, and training topics. Different Discipleship Teams study different topics.
SPUR Winter/Spring 2020
MEN'S BREAKFAST (large group meeting)
All men are invited to a breakfast fellowship time and to hear about our Winter study called, “Man of God.” Coffee and bagels are provided.
SMALL DISCIPLESHIP TEAMS
- Man of God–This 10-week study starts January 2021 and includes the following topics:
- Men and God's design
- Men and the fall
- Men and their salvation
- Men and marriage
- Men and sexual temptation
- Men and fatherhood
- Men and singleness
- Men and their brothers
- Men and spiritual fervor
- Men and God's people
*To join a small discipleship team for this study, contact the Pastor for Mission and Equipping–Patrick Havens.
- Book of Acts–Elgin, Fridays at 6:15 AM, led by Tim Axford. This is an ongoing small discipleship team study. For more information, contact Tim Axford.
- If you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms, have been in close contact (within 6 feet, unmasked, for at least 15 minutes) with a person confirmed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, or if someone in your household is awaiting results of a COVID-19 test or diagnosed with COVID-19, please stay home for the safety of others.
- Masks are required while entering the building, finding your seat, mingling with one another, and singing. While sitting and properly distanced, masks may be removed.
To sign up for a Discipleship Team or if you have any questions, contact the Pastor for Mission and Equipping – Patrick Havens.