Our purpose is to SPUR each other to love and good deeds, treasure Jesus Christ above everything else, grow together in love and devotion to God, and by the Spirit impact our families, neighborhoods, workplaces, and the world for good.
Our means of growing in maturity in Christlikeness includes four key elements:
- Scripture: Studying God’s word together, aiming for worship and the implications for all of life, and growing in our knowledge of God and doctrines.
- Prayer: Praying in dependence on the Holy Spirit; pleading with our Father together as Christian men, “the ones who worship by the Spirit of God, boast in Christ Jesus, and do not put confidence in the flesh” (Philippians 3:3).
- Unite: Gathering to encourage each other on a common mission to grow and serve, to love our families, and to invite others to consider Jesus.
- Resist: Persevering in the faith, not giving into the patterns this age, and refusing to give up is how we resist the devil.
SPUR is a mix of life-to-life relationships in small discipleship teams of 3-10 men (ongoing) and large group meetings (TBA). We typically begin new studies three times a year (Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall).
SPUR studies include Bible studies, theological courses, and training topics. Different Discipleship Teams study different topics.
Small Discipleship Teams
Men, join us for a 8-week study in the book of Galatians starting in September (see locations and times below).
“Galatians is all about the gospel - the gospel all of us need throughout all of our lives” - Tim Keller
This course will ground us to be men of faith in Christ, to understand the essentials of the gospel, to walk in the Spirit, and to grow in motivation to love those around us because of His love for us.
Galatians study locations & times:
- Elgin, Saturdays at 8:00 AM, led by Brad Eggers at Big Apple Bagel (starts September 19)
- South Elgin, Fridays at 6:30 AM, led by Patrick Havens at Panera Bread (starts September 18)
- St Charles, Fridays at 6:00 AM (every other week), led by David Wollen at Arcedium (starts September 18)
- Online ZOOM study, Fridays at 7:00 AM, led by Dave Fisher & Tony Faivre (starts September 18)
The Gospel of John study:
Elgin, Fridays at 6:15 AM, led by Tim Axford at Big Apple Bagel. (This is an ongoing men’s group studying John 14-17)
Large Group Gatherings
Men's Breakfast: November 7, 8:00-9:15 AM
Register here by November 5
Battling Shame: Steps Toward Authentic Manhood and Sexual Integrity
All men (single or married) are invited to a breakfast and teaching from 8-9:15 AM on Saturday, November 7 as we experience more of the joy of the Lord together.
Jesus came that we might have life and have it abundantly. Satan works overtime to vandalize God’s good design in our sexuality. Shame keeps us hiding and stunts spiritual and emotional health.
Join us for clear teaching, practical insights, and honest testimonies of God’s grace to fight the good fight of faith.
- We will meet in the Gym at New Covenant Bible Church.
- We plan to order Chicken Biscuits from Chick-fil-A.
- Coffee is available.
- Suggested donation of $5 (can be applied at registration) but not required.
- If you have experienced any COVID-19 symptoms, have been in close contact (within 6 feet, unmasked, for at least 15 minutes) with a person confirmed with COVID-19 in the last 14 days, or if someone in your household is awaiting results of a COVID-19 test or diagnosed with COVID-19, please stay home for the safety of others.
- Masks are required while entering the building, finding your seat, mingling with one another, and singing. While sitting and properly distanced, masks may be removed.
To sign up for a Discipleship Team or if you have any questions, contact the Pastor for Mission and Equipping – Patrick Havens.